Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 28, 2013.
That’s the day David Laws got the call every parent dreads.
“And I just knew something was wrong,” Laws said.
The night before, Laws had spoken with his daughter Laura, who was staying at a friend’s house.
The call came from Laura’s mom, Laws' ex-wife.
“Her mom was screaming over the phone. And I just hung up on her,” Laws said. “Then I picked it up, and she said, you know, Laura’s dead.”
Laura had overdosed on a combination of morphine, cocaine and alcohol. She was 17 years old.